Cozy Chickpea Spinach Casserole
This Cozy Chickpea Spinach Casserole is savory, nourishing and super comforting! Roasted veggies and protein-rich chickpeas tossed with creamy cashew sauce topped with golden brown sourdough croutons. It’s giving pot pie vibes but it’s healthier and easier to make!
By Nikki Vegan
Chickpea Spinach Casserole is a lot like pot pie. It has a creamy, savory filling made with chickpeas and lots of vegetables – I use a mix of roasted root veggies like potatoes and carrots and also some frozen staples like peas, corn and chopped spinach – and it’s baked beneath a crispy, golden brown crust. But instead of pie dough or puff pastry, this crust is made with a quicker, easier and healthier topping: sourdough croutons.
The croutons become golden brown and delicious in the oven and create the perfect, crunchy texture to compliment the creamy sauce and tender veggies. The result is a homemade baked casserole that is as balanced and nourishing as it is comforting and cozy.
Tips for Making the Chickpea Casserole!
Vegan casseroles like this one are a welcoming, homestyle dinner that I love to serve to friends and family, but they’re also ideal for meal prep! I l often bake a casserole like my Tater Tot Casserole or my Vegan Taco Casserole on a Sunday evening and then reheat the leftovers for easy lunches or dinners throughout the week. Casserole recipes are great because:
- They’re an all-in-one meal!
- They’re primarily made with pantry and freezer staples like canned beans and frozen veggies!
- They’re truly comforting and I love how homey it is to place a casserole dish in the center of the table so that everyone can serve themselves hearty portions.
- They can be made ahead of time and keep well in the fridge for several days!
- Freezer-friendly, budget-friendly and easy to make!
Ingredients Cozy Chickpea and Spinach Casserole
I love meals that can be made with simple ingredients and pantry staples. This casserole is definitely that, making it a dinner I keep making again and again.
- Potatoes, Carrots and Garlic – roasting the root vegetables brings out the flavor and adds so much depth to the final dish!
- Chickpeas – adds protein, fiber and minerals to help round out this meal and make it extra satisfying!
- Frozen Peas, Corn and Chopped Spinach – a budget-friendly way to add lots of nutrients to this comforting meal.
- Mushrooms, Fresh Rosemary and White Wine – well-browned mushrooms add a savory, meaty quality to this completely vegan meal.
- Cashews Sauce – I make the sauce while the veggies cook so this meal comes together in a flash. Simply blend cashews, soy milk, dried sage and nutritional yeast with a squeeze of lemon and some white miso. The result is a decadently silky-smooth sauce.
- Sourdough Bread – cut the bread into cubes, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and ta-daa! Homemade croutons. It’s a quicker, easier and more budget-friendly way to add a crispy, golden brown topping to the casserole. Bonus points if you use day-old bread to prevent food waste!
Venture into the Wild and Taste the Difference
Parlez vous Francais? Not required, because this coastal French Chardonnay will be speaking your language at first sip. It has a beautiful golden hue with a brilliant rim and shows notes of peach, pear and citrus fruits paired with a kick of vanilla. Its juicy, creamy and easy going…the Chardonnay drinker’s Chardonnay!